Exactly what is the Key to Virtual Presentation?
Well, if you think about it, the key to a virtual presentation is actually the same that you would consider for a physical face-to-face presentation. Think of the virtual as you would a physical in order to create a successful one. The most vital part to either of them is actually in the preparation of the presentation. There are some things you should consider before doing your virtual presentation.
The first thing you need to do is remember that your presentation is still that, a presentation. You should follow some basic presentation rules to keep make it an effective one.
- Be sure you have identified the purpose of your presentation. You need to know why you are presenting this material. If it does not have a purpose, no one will be interested in hearing what you have to say.
- You need to know whom you are presenting this information to. Who is it that is going to be listening?
- Make sure your presentation is organized. Use a pattern that best suits what you are presenting and your personality. Be sure the audience can follow what you are telling them easily.
- Have both an introduction and a conclusion to your presentation. Do not begin to think that because it is a virtual presentation that you do not have to follow the same path you would on a physical presentation. Introduce it to grab everyone’s attention and then wrap up your presentation with the conclusion to drive home the point you are making.
- If it is possible, get the materials to the audience before hand. They can become familiar with what you are presenting and they will be able to get more out of it. You can give them something like an agenda, support material, PowerPoint slides, or contact information.
There are factors that you need to consider when you are arranging the virtual presentation. Timing is the factor that must be treated with highest priority. You can work your presentation so that it spans across numerous time zones. Be sure your virtual presentation accommodates everyone involved. If it is a regular scheduled virtual presentation and numerous people from various time zones meet, you can always rotate your starting time, that way everyone can be accommodated.
Technology is the next factor you must consider. Be sure all your participants have the proper equipment for your presentation and that there is someone who can actually work it. If for some reason your presentation does not work, then you need to be sure you have some sort of back up plan for the presentation.
The last factor you need to take into consideration is the appearance of what the audience will see on the screen. You can improve your appearance by wearing something that does not draw attention to your face, wear pastel colors, and avoid wearing anything that has a stripe or any other pattern, be sure your clothes will contrast the background, be sure the background is solid, and finally, take things out of the background so it is solid.